Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Gay pride?

This past Sunday, several big cities across the country held “Pride Parades” in commemoration of the 1969 Stonewall riots and in celebration of “gay pride”. Obviously, our world has changed but, in this respect, I don’t think it’s been for the better.

Why do there have to be pride parades? What is the purpose of advertising one’s sexual orientation? For example, I’m very happy to be married to my wife (soon to be eighteen years), but I don’t want to celebrate in the streets what happens in our bedroom. Why? Because it doesn’t belong in the streets! In fact, it’s nobody else’s business! So, why do homosexuals want to parade their sexual orientation before a watching world? The idea of parading one’s sexual orientation in public strikes me as bizarre, even narcissistic.

Also, why gay “pride”, as if homosexuality is some sort of accomplishment or badge of honor? Or is gay pride simply an assertion of one’s equality and self-worth because of past discrimination and oppression, sort of like the homosexual equivalent of the 1960s and 70s Black pride movement? Well, since basic male/female anatomy and reproductive biology demonstrates that homosexuality is not natural or normal, and human genetics proves that race is, literally, only skin deep (meaning there really is no difference between Blacks and any other race), it is almost insulting to compare homosexuality to race. To put it another way, Blackness is not a genetic anomaly; homosexuality is an anomaly. Don’t put my race in the same category with a trait that is unnatural and abnormal. There is no comparison.

For those of us who take God’s word seriously, homosexuality is not just unnatural, the flaunting of it not just narcissistic. Homosexuality is also sinful. Homosexuality is never, ever held in a positive light in the Scriptures. Rather, the word of God judges homosexuality as “contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God” (1 Timothy 1:10-11). In other words, homosexuality doesn’t fit the gospel (and, it should go without saying, Christians should have nothing to do with it). Homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality and such, are “dishonorable passions”, and the acts are “contrary to nature”, “shameless” and in “error” (Romans 1:26, 27). Before God, homosexuality is “an abomination” (Leviticus 18:22; 20:13).

I’m not trying to be mean-spirited. This is simply what the Bible declares. I certainly don’t want to come across as self-righteous; I know I am anything but perfect. Before the word of God, I stand condemned, along with the rest of humanity. Nevertheless, my sins and imperfections give me no right to ignore God’s word. “Let God be true though every one were a liar” (Romans 3:4). If God calls homosexuality sin, if he says it is shameful and dishonorable—even an abomination—I dare not try to dress it up and make it sound better than God says it is.

Please understand, I’m not naïve; I know homosexuality has been around since ancient times, mentioned in the Bible as early as Genesis. Over the years, I’ve known plenty of homosexuals (in and out of the church, by the way). So, I don’t have in my mind some wild image of homosexuals fed by homophobic hysteria. Most homosexuals I know (and have known) are likeable people. But, niceness doesn’t change the character of sin. Sin is still dirty in God’s sight.

Most people, I suppose, don’t believe nice people are sinners. Two states—Massachusetts and California—have legalized gay marriage, and probably more will follow suit. The United Church of Christ, the Episcopal Church and, now, the Presbyterian Church, USA, have given their approval to homosexuality at all levels of the church. It’s not “politically correct” to oppose homosexuality. Some would consider what I’m writing here to be “hate speech”, worthy of censorship. But that’s because we care too much about what people think of us and don’t care at all what God thinks of us.

Nevertheless, I remind you, as I remind myself, Jesus said, “Do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!” (Luke 12:4-5). It is God, Jesus reminds us, who has the authority to cast into hell. We’d better be concerned about what he thinks.

We live in a sad day. Especially when it comes to the subject of homosexuality, it’s almost like most of the Western world has been put under a demonic spell. We’ve not only lost our ability to discern right from wrong, but we’ve also lost the ability, it seems, to feel shame.

“Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!” (Isaiah 5:20).

“Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.” (Romans 1:32).

Sin is nothing to be proud of. Rather, we should feel deeply ashamed. We should not celebrate our sin; we should mourn. Unless we repent, we will most surely face God’s awful wrath.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

“(Leviticus 18:22; 20:13)
I’m not trying to be mean-spirited. This is simply what the Bible declares.”


Oh really? You actually think that your own personal elucidation of the Biblical command for me (a homosexual) TO BE PUT TO DEATH, is not mean spirited on your part?

Wyeth Duncan said...

Emproph,

No, I don't think I'm being mean-spirited, and I certainly don't intend to be. As I wrote, "If God calls homosexuality sin, if he says it is shameful and dishonorable—even an abomination—I dare not try to dress it up and make it sound better than God says it is."

To say that homosexuality is acceptable in the sight of God is a lie; it misrepresents God. To say that the homosexual lifestyle and orientation is not sinful is to perpetuate the spiritual deception under which the unrepentant homosexual lives.

Would you rather be warned of judgment and have time to repent and forsake your sin, or would you rather face judgment with no warning? Isn't it obvious that the loving, compassionate choice is to tell the truth and warn of God's judgment?

If one takes God's word seriously, there is no other option than to stand on God's truth and call homosexuality sin. I would plead with you, please, consider your ways, turn away from your sin, submit to Christ Jesus' Lordship over every aspect of your life, and embrace Him as your Savior from sin, even the sin of homosexuality. Through the Lord Jesus Christ, change is possible (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).