Monday, August 18, 2008

My ideal Presidential candidate

After listening last Saturday to portions of Rick Warren’s question and answer forum with Senators Barack Obama and John McCain, I wondered what my ideal Presidential candidate would look like. I imagine my ideal Presidential candidate would…

…support the overturning of Roe v Wade
…oppose the legalization of homosexual marriage
…oppose embryonic stem-cell research
…favor nominating men and women to the Supreme Court in the legal mold of a Justice Scalia, Roberts or Alito
…prioritize the creation of jobs and the improvement of our health care and health insurance systems
…be reticent to talk about his faith in public
…be willing to openly admit that white racism is one of the greatest moral failures (if not the greatest moral failure) of this nation
…support public education and public school teachers
…be willing to admit that invading Iraq was a mistake (no “weapons of mass destruction”)
…commit to balancing the national budget
…be willing to do what needs to be done to fix Social Security and Medicare
…support some kind of compassionate immigration reform

Obviously, the candidate I describe is neither Obama nor McCain. I think Obama is wrong about abortion and homosexual marriage. I think McCain is closer to being right on these issues, but I get the feeling he’s only saying what he thinks evangelicals want to hear. I’ve heard nothing from either candidate that would convince me they understand the gospel.

All of which means I still do not know for whom I will vote in November.

1 comment:

R.K. said...

In defense of stem-cell research I'd just like to point out the potential it has to save lives and alleviate the suffering of people with a wide spectrum of injuries and diseases.

The embryo in which the stem-cells are taken is actually a microscopic sphere of 150 cells called a blastocyst. The brain of a fly has around 100,000 cells. Personally, I couldn't look a person in the eye who has a devastating spinal cord injury and tell him I put a group of cells before his well being. I realize these cells will eventually become a human being but potential for life isn't the same as existing life.

I actually consider myself pro-life for the most part except for instances where the mothers health is in jeopardy and with stem-cell research. I realize from the pro-life perspective it is very easy and simple just to declare an embryo fully human right from conception but I really believe we need to rethink this issue.