Saturday, December 16, 2006

Part 8 of Grudem interview

Whew! This is some interview!
We're now up to Part 8 of Adrian Warnock's interview with Dr. Wayne Grudem. Today's post focuses on the future, with Dr. Grudem's thoughts concerning how churches will resolve the feminist issue, as well as hopeful signs for the future of the evangelical Church in the US and the UK.
What Dr. Grudem says about churches where an egalitarian view has taken hold remind me of my former denomination. In many ways, from what I observed during my time there (and I've only been gone eight years), the denomination is but a depressing shadow of its former self. Every kind of influence is rushing in to fill the vacuum created by the absence of real spiritual substance: liberal theology, feminism, Pentecostalism, health & wealth heresy, etc. Some of the local churches that I know about have declined terribly in just the past 15 years. My own "home church" has "Ichabod" written all over it. It's heart-breaking.
The future for the Bible-believing evangelical Church is much more hopeful, according to Dr. Grudem, but in addition to hopeful signs he sees indications that God is "exposing sin and 'cleaning house' ". This made me think. When the Ted Haggard scandal broke, a male prostitute was pointed to as the one that exposed Haggard. But, had it occurred to us that God is the one who exposed Ted Haggard, and all the rest who have fallen by the wayside over the years?
This is sobering. Are we prepared to be "exposed" by God?
Now, there's something to think about.

No comments: