Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Time to get out

According to the New York Times, the Houses of Bishops and Deputies of the Episcopal Church “voted overwhelmingly” to pass a resolution recommending that “any ordained ministry” be made open to gays and lesbians. The House of Bishops also approved the creation of a liturgy to bless same-sex couples. You can read more about it here.

This is a sad, sad day for the Episcopal Church. Yet, not surprisingly, many are rejoicing.

What more reasons do those Episcopalians who take the Bible seriously need before they finally decide to get out of this apostate denomination? I don’t want to encourage schism, but it seems to me that there comes a point when remaining in such a denomination as the Episcopal Church is sinful.

I think the words of the Apostle Paul are very relevant in this situation (2 Corinthians 6:14-18):

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,

“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
Therefore go out from their midst,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch no unclean thing;
then I will welcome you,
and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
says the Lord Almighty.”
In my opinion, it’s time for those Episcopalians who still believe in the authority of Scripture to get out of this apostate denomination.

Jesus spoke about leaders like those Episcopal bishops and priests who voted in favor of these measures (Matthew 15:14):

Let them alone; they are blind guides. And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit” (Matthew 15:14).
The “pit” is hell. And that’s where the leaders of the Episcopal Church seemed determined to take their followers.

No comments: