Friday, August 21, 2009

Family and my mother’s visit

To me, it’s always been a good thing to be with people I’ve never had to officially “meet” or be introduced to, because they’ve seemingly always been there. These are the people who are a part of my earliest memories, who’ve known me all my life, before I ever had a title or a position, before I ever had children or was married.

That’s why I appreciate family. I grew up with plenty of extended family. Grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great grandparents, aunts, uncles and a multitude of 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousins were an integral part of my growing up years. Unfortunately, with the passage of time and the death of the oldest generations, and because we now live so far apart geographically, I rarely get to see my extended Duncan family (I do have an uncle who lives with his sons just a few miles away, but we hardly see him more than once a year, if that. But, that’s another story all together, too long to tell.).

You may remember my father visited for a few days back in March. I wrote about it here. Well, the first half of this week, my family and I were blessed to have my mother, Barbara, in town for a short visit. It was great for all of us to see her again, for the first time in several years, and to spend some time together. I, especially, enjoyed having the opportunity to laugh (my mother, like her late father, is gifted at telling funny stories) and share memories of family in days gone by.

Below are a few photos from my mother’s visit.




No comments: