Sunday, October 22, 2006

Another great quote

This is a quote from, The Life Of God in the Soul Of Man, by the Rev. Henry Scougal (1650-1678), a treatise that I believe was first published in 1739. John Piper mentions and comments on this passage in his book, The Pleasures of God. This is an excellent word, especially if you are interested in moving forward and growing deeper in your Christian life. I'll let Scougal speak for himself. Read it carefully. Think about it. I believe it's good for what ails us.

"The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love: he who loveth mean and sordid things doth thereby become base and vile; but a noble and well-placed affection doth advance and improve the spirit unto a conformity with the perfections which it loves."


"The true way to improve and ennoble our souls, is, by fixing our love on the divine perfections, that we may have them always before us, and derive an impression of them on ourselves, and 'beholding with open face, as in a glass, the glory of the Lord, we may be changed into the same image, from glory to glory' " [2 Cor. 3:18].


From Henry Scougal, The Life Of God in the Soul Of Man: or the Nature and Excellency of the Christian Religion (Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle Publications, 1986), pp. 62, 63.


Let's strive to truly love the Lord our God with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our mind (Matt. 22:37).

1 comment:

ajcarter said...

Hey Wy,
So good to see you are blogging my man! This is fantastic. I really appreciated your comments on my blog. In fact, I appreciated them so much that I accidently deleted them :-(. Sorry. Go figure!

I will make a link to your blog very soon. It looks great. Keep up the faithful labors in song and deed, my friend.