Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Soli Deo Gloria

I trust that in this blog I’m not just “preaching to the choir”. I hope some who are reading don’t share my views. I even hope there are some non-Christians reading this blog. Perhaps you disagree with the whole idea of God’s sovereignty. Perhaps you embrace the idea of “free will”, that somehow our choices trump God’s choice, and you inwardly chafe at the notion of God choosing people to be saved. I want to share with you some Scriptures from the gospel according to John—all quotes of Jesus—which helped convince me of the truth of God’s sovereignty in Election, and which forever stopped me from thinking that I was somehow free to choose Christ.
* * * * * * * * * *

“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” (John 6:37-40)

Notice who it is that comes to the Lord Jesus: those whom the Father has first "given" to Jesus. Yes, people come to Jesus and believe in him, but that is only because the Father first gave them to Jesus. So, what good is this to you? Notice that those whom the Father has given, those who believe in Jesus, will never be lost—Jesus will “lose nothing of all that [the Father] has given". If you come to Jesus and savingly trust in him, you have this guarantee: he won’t let you go!
* * * * * * * * * *

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.” (John 6:44)

So, I ask you, can you come to the Lord Jesus on your own volition? According to Jesus, you cannot. He says so right here: “No one can come to me unless the Father…draws him.” So much for making a “decision” to come to Christ. So much for "free will". Why does this matter? It matters because, if it was left up to us, we would never come to Jesus!

“The LORD looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one.” (Psalm 14:2-3)

I’m glad Jesus didn’t wait for me to come! I’m so glad the Father drew me!
* * * * * * * * * *

“ ‘It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is of no avail. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe.’ (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) And he said, ‘This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.’ ” (John 6:63-65)

One of the hardest doctrines for many to accept is that the number of those who will be eternally lost has been predetermined by God. Nevertheless, I don’t know how one can escape that teaching after reading what Jesus has to say here (and what Paul writes in Romans 9:10-24). John tells us that “Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.” It was determined beforehand ("from the beginning"). Is this unfair? Absolutely not! None of us have any right to have a chance; all of us deserve to perish forever. The good news is that the Father has granted that some will come to the Lord Jesus. And, I thank God I was included in that number! Are you in that number to whom it has been granted to come to Jesus? Do you want to know if you’re included? Here’s what you do: Come to Jesus!
* * * * * * * * * *

“I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.” (John 10:14-15)

Another doctrine that many find difficult to accept (and one that I didn’t accept until 6 years ago) is the doctrine of “particular redemption”—that Jesus died for the Elect. I don’t know why I didn’t see it sooner. Here it is right here: “I lay down my life for the sheep.” Jesus didn’t say he lays down his life for the sheep and the goats! He said “I lay down my life for the sheep”—for the Elect. Jesus didn’t waste a drop of blood. If Jesus died for everybody, then Jesus wasted some of his blood, because untold millions have already died without Christ. But my Lord didn't waste a drop! All that he died for will be saved—guaranteed!

I know someone will bring up John 3:16, so let’s look at that verse:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

Does God love you? Yes, indeed he does! “God so loved the world”. That means everybody! But, did Jesus die for everybody? No. For whom, then, did God give “his only Son”? “He gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” Did you see that? Jesus died for those who would believe in him. Again, do you want to know if you’re included? Believe in Jesus! Trust in what he accomplished through his perfect life and perfect sacrifice!
* * * * * * * * * *

“Jesus answered them, ‘I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.’ ” (John 10:25-30)

When it came to the doctrine of “particular redemption”, this passage clinched the argument for me. The Lord Jesus said to the Jews gathered around, “You do not believe because you are not part of my flock.” Notice, he did not say, “You are not part of my flock because you do not believe.” No, no! Being a part of his flock precedes believing. God’s choice of you precedes your trusting in Jesus. If you trust in the Lord Jesus, it’s because the Father chose you “before the foundation of the world” (Ephesians 1:4) to be a part of the flock. Once again, if you want to know that you’re included, there’s only one way: Believe in Jesus Christ! Come to him! “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” Do you hear Christ calling you? Will you respond to his call?
And, again, we have this wonderful promise: those who follow the Lord Jesus Christ, who is God (for he and the Father are "one"), "will never perish". And you can't slip away, either! "No one will snatch them out of my hand."
* * * * * * * * * *
I'm so grateful that God didn't have to whop me upside the head with a spiritual 2x4 in order for me to acknowledge these truths. These Scriptures were enough to convince me that my salvation is all of God and that the glory belongs to him alone. I can't save myself, and I don't have the power to stay saved.
Just like Jesus called Lazarus from the dead (John 11:43), the Father called me when I was "dead in...trespasses and sins" and made me "alive together with Christ" (Ephesians 2:1-2, 4-5). And, if you're saved, he did it for you, too!
To the non-Christian who may be reading this: If you hear Christ's voice, don't resist him. Come to him! Trust him! And know, if you do come, it's because the Father sought you...first.

No comments: