Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thabiti Anyabwile writes: "A Pox on God's People"

Please read this post by Pastor Thabiti Anyabwile of First Baptist Church of Grand Cayman Island: "A Pox on God's People", about television preachers. Pastor Anyabwile is telling the truth! Granted, there may be a few sound and reputable preachers on television, but my observations over the years show me that the vast majority of TV preachers (and I'm resisting the urge to name names)--the vast majority have absolutely no business being in anyone's pulpit, never mind on television where they can sow the seeds of false teaching throughout the land.
Personally, I wish Anyabwile's message could be broadcast throughout the Black church-going community. The false teachings of TV preachers have deeply infected huge segments of the Black Church--the church culture in which I was nutured, which gave me my first opportunities to exercise my spiritual gifts and calling, my original church home--and it breaks my heart.
Some of you know what I'm talking about. I wish I could tell it all to those of you who don't know, but I can't. However, I can pray. Will you pray with me? Will you pray with me that God would be merciful to send a thorough-going reformation to the Black Church? That God would raise up godly men to preach His word and lead His Church within the Black community? Do you mind me making such a request? Is it all right for me to be care about Black people? After all, these are my "kinsmen according to the flesh". Please don't interpret my request as disrespect for any other ethnic or racial group.
I'm just someone who has experienced for myself the crisis within the Black Church--a crisis exacerbated by television preachers who are, indeed, "A Pox on God's People", especially the Black Church.

No comments: